A global insurance company is looking for an Underwriter (f/m/d) for their property section in Cologne.
- Contribution to profitability growth by underwriting, and managing business of predominantly Japanese owned or managed industrial and commercial property
- Support and work closely with the Underwriting Manager and the whole underwriting team in line with agreed strategy and objectives.
- Mainly managing existing relationships with clients and brokers while also developing some new business opportunities where possible.
- Analyze individual account risk and ensure an appropriate pricing approach as well as properutilization of capacities, ensuring business is conducted in accordance with the company’s philosophy, underwriting strategy.
- Perform contract negotiation, attending and travelling to client meetings, presentations to customers and conducting underwriting reviews
- Assist in the further development of the company's reputation as atop tier, world-class insurance company
- Support and continually develop a truly integrated and collaborative environment, in line with the company's Values and Core Competencies, ensuring transparency and positive working relationship
- Ensure compliance with relevant underwriting policy, legal and regulatory requirements in each territory, complying with relevant sanctions legislation and treating customers fairly at all times
- Develop and maintain strong and effective working relationship with brokers, clients and fronting partners in co-operation with other branch divisions as required
- Ensure senior leadership are kept informed of market trends and developments, recommending action as required
- Provide support in relation to your Underwriting Manager
- Suitably represent the Branch on external market forums where appropriate
- Execution of all relevant responsibilities under the Company’s Allocation of Responsibilities Memoranda, Terms of Reference for Germany (DEU) Branch and the Company’s systems and controls including without limitation its Risk Management Policy
- Any other reasonable duties and responsibilities considered appropriate by the management of the company
- University graduate with a degree in business or law or technical degree
- Alternatively, insurance business training (Versicherungs-Kaufmann/Kauffrau) and/or further insurance (e.g. Versicherungs-Fachwirt/in) or technical education
- Minimum5 years of relevant professional experience in the insurance industry, particularly in Property at an (re) insurer, relevant broking experience, within risk management or consultancy.
- Thorough familiarity with risk assessment, analytics, pricing, underwriting, capitaluse, and contract issues
- Able to articulate a disciplined approach to underwriting
- Excellent networking skills and able to develop relationships with clients and brokers
- Knowledge of major property catastrophe modeling tools
- Hands-on attitude with strong pragmatic problem-solving capabilities
- Experienced in reporting
- Strong communication skills and preference to work in multi-cultural environment
- Languages: fluency in German and English. Ideally, good language skillsin Italian and ideally also in French (verbally and in writing)
- Willingness to travel and flexibility with respect to work schedule