One of the largest property and causualty insurance group is looking for an underwriter in its Düsseldorf branch.
· Underwriting of general third party, casualty and accident risks in accordance with corporate philosophy and underwriting strategy ensuring risks are appropriate to appetite, being mindful of the need for such business to be profitable for the company and for clients to be treated fairly at all times.
· Peer Review communications openly and diligently.
· Performing day to day servicing of allocated casualty and accident accounts in a professional and courteous manner.
· Monitoring clients’ risk management activity, performance indicators.
· Prompt IT-system entry and maintenance of accurate, transparent underwriting data utilization of core underwriting systems.
· Developing and maintaining strong and effective working relationships with brokers and clients in cooperation with other Branch Divisions concerned.
· Keeping the Senior Manager and colleagues informed of market trends and developments.
· Supporting the Senior Manager in monitoring of the underwriting performance of the business.
· Supporting the Senior Manager in developing and recording of technical underwriting standards in respect of the lines of business appointed for regular handling.
· Informing Managers and colleagues about developments regarding the assigned casualty and accident portfolio.
· Supporting Branch (Manager’s) general responsibilities including ad hoc assignments.
· Represent the Branch on external market forums and client visits where appropriate.
· Adequate examination and/or 3 - 5 years of casualty insurance experience in the local market and ideally also in the Japanese insurance business segment.
· Positive, collegiate attitude, being highly numerate and aware of profitability drivers.
· Enhanced understanding of Casualty and Accident Insurance underwriting, including coverage terms and premium rating. Commercially minded towards long term, sustainable profitability goal. Aware of potential long lead time for loss manifestation (in this class) and the consequent need for adequate pricing.
· Enhanced understanding about legal and regulatory guidelines concerning the business and insurance classes written.
· Enhanced level of business awareness and strong negotiating skills.
· Good communication skills both in writing and verbally.
· Knowledge of corporate underwriting philosophy, techniques and tools, national/local filing regulations and guidelines.
· Ability to effectively assess risks by analytical skills; good judgment and problem-solving ability.
· Demonstrated technical knowledge and skills reflective of progression of positions of increasing responsibility.
· Solid knowledge of processing methods and workflow procedures, and basic knowledge of regulations for assigned countries/territories abroad.
· Strong organizational skills and in setting own work priorities; flexibility and capability of multitasking and ability to perform well under pressure.
· PC literate with a thorough knowledge of standard MS applications.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with changing priorities.
· Ability to work independently but not to the exclusion of a team environment.
· Good language skills in German and English, both verbally and in writing.